I always thought it was awesome that Paul Thurrott of www.thurrott.com had a page showing what he used as far as tech goes. It is just very transparent and gives the reader an insight into the tech that the author uses daily. I knew I had to put one together as well (that and I had people asking me)
As of January 2015 here are the electronic devices and services I use and suggest. I will state that I am not employed by any of the companies listed below and that these things were not given to me by these companies either, rather I have purchased them. I do not use counterfeit software.
Computers And Tablets
1. A HP Pavilion G4-1125DX laptop. It has 4 GB of DDR3 Ram, and AMD Phenom II P650 running at 2.6 GHz, 14″ LED display, and a 500 Gb Hard drive. This is my main machine I use day-to-day and it is getting old.
2. An Acer Aspire M5 Z09 M5-481PT-6644 Ultrabook. It has a 3rd Gen. (Ivy Bridge) Intel Core i5 3337U running at 1.8 Ghz with 6 GB of DDR3 Ram, a 500 GB 5400 RPM hard drive with a 20 GB SSD for app and speed performance. There is also a 14″ LED touchscreen (1366 X 768 resolution) and even a DVD burner. This machine also has a backlit keyboard.
3. A home-built machine with a 1st Gen. Intel Core i5 661 running at 3.33 Ghz with 4 Gb of DDR3 ram, a 160Gb Western Digital hard drive Sata II 7200 RPM.
4. A Compaq laptop, Compaq Presario CQ60 (CQ60-615DX) It has 2 Gb of ram with an Intel Celeron 900 running at 2.2 Ghz and a 250 Gb hard drive Running at 7200 RPM. This laptop was a sweet deal for the price.
5. An E-Machines ET1831-03 with 4 Gb or ram an Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 running at 2.6 Ghz a 750 Gb hard drive and an Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 Graphic Card. We use this computer for Flight Simulator and other games.
6. I have a Microsoft Surface RT 32GB. This is a great tablet for general computer use but I would suggest the newer Surface 2. If you need to have a more standard Windows experience go with the Surface Pro 3.
Out here in the Southwest, Verizon has some of the best service and we currently have them however due to increasing costs I am looking into T-Mobile. On Verizon I have a black Nokia Lumia Icon (Lumia 930 outside the US) which is a fast phone with a beautiful camera, and my wife has the HTC One M8 for Windows which is a great phone with a nice feel in your hand.
Internet / Web Hosting
I have Cox high-speed internet. Cox is expensive for what you get but for now they are the best internet. Their customer service is so bad though I have thought about leaving them many times.
I am currently hosted through a friend of mine. I am helping him with a few things.
I have a 32in Samsung LED LCD tv that will do 1080P and a 25in Samsung LCD tv that will do 1080p.
I also have a Nintendo Wii and my favorite games on there are Mario Kart Wii, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, and Game Party.
I have Windows XP Pro X64, Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit in a quad-boot configuration on the home-built machine. The HP Pavilion G4 runs Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit is installed on the Compaq and e-Machines
I use Windows Live Mail, and the Metro Mail app in Windows 8.1 for my personal mail on my computer.
For antivirus I use Microsoft Security Essentials for Free antivirus solutions and Norton Antivirus or Kaspersky Antivirus for paid solutions, Only get regular Norton Antivirus, don’t bother for Internet Security or Norton 360.
For testing operating systems I use Windows Virtual PC, Hyper-V, VM Ware Player, and Virtual Box, all are free to use.
I was subscribed to Microsoft Tech Net Standard however since Microsoft is retiring it I am not currently sure what I will do next.