Fix the Lumia Windows Phone Blue Screen of Sadness

I have never come across this till recently but I now know how to fix the Lumia Windows Phone Blue Screen of Sadness (Blue Screen Of Death).  Maybe you have seen this, you try to start-up your Lumia Windows Phone and receive a screen with a sad face on it.  Either the screen is black with a blue sad face or the screen is blue with a white sad face like below.

Lumia Windows Phone Blue Screen of Sadness

Lumia Windows Phone Blue Screen of Sadness

I only have fixed this on a Nokia Lumia 521 however the process should be the same for all Nokia Windows Phones.  This will not work for Windows Phones made by other manufacturers.  To fix the issue you will need to download the Windows Device Recovery Tool. Once you have downloaded that install it and run it. If the app asks to update you will want to do it as it will support more devices and have bug fixes.  Once it has started you will want to click on My Phone Does Not  Start Up Or Respond.

Nokia Software Updater

Nokia Software Updater

Then a screen will show up prompting you to plug-in your phone into the computer.  You will want to do so and if the software does not automatically start your phone you can hold down the Power and Volume Down buttons (at the same time) till the phone vibrates and then release them.  This will reinstall Windows Phone on your device and it will delete any and all data on your phone.  It will take a while to download the firmware but getting your phone working again is worth it.

This resets my Nokia Lumia 521 back to Windows Phone 8.0 and I am now using the Preview for Developers to update it back to Windows Phone 8.1 for testing purposes.  I was able to fix the Lumia Windows Phone blue screen of sadness (Sad Face, Blue Screen of Death) but as always your results may differ.  I also want to state that I am not responsible if you brick your phone trying this.  This is not supported officially.  Good Luck.

15 replies
  1. Eveline
    Eveline says:

Hello, I looked also for an answer and saw a tip of removing the sd card. When I did that, the Phone restarted and it’s problem was gone. Try it, maby it also helps you.

2. Mac Andrei
    Mac Andrei says:

Sir ? My Lumia 636 Can Connect when the downloading process end … and installing process will begin it will disconnect …. Please Help me

3. Aalok
    Aalok says:

Thank you so much! This information saved me a visit to the service centre for a phone that is essentially going to be my secondary phone. My phone got stuck while entering the unlock code. I tried restarting but it was frozen, so I took out the battery. On restarting, I was greeted by the sad face. I couldn’t do a hard reset coz my volume keys are broken. I had almost given up when I found this post.

Thanks a lot again. 🙂

• Bryan Moore
      Bryan Moore says:

Install the software first then click the my phone does not start up or respond and then connect the phone to the computer. Also you may have to hold the cable into the phone if there is a problem with the usb connection.

• Rakesh R
        Rakesh R says:

hello guys have been facing the same problem on my Lumia 720, it’s just that the phone is stuck with the blue screen which happens after I try to do a soft reset, NOKIA appears and then a blue light flashes and that’s it, then if I try to switch on, it shows a blank blue screen. I just want to know if following the above method will not erase any of my data, I really need the data, at least the pics that are in my cell. Please reply ASAP and thanks. . .

• Bryan Moore
          Bryan Moore says:

It will delete ALL DATA! Currently I do not know of any way to retrieve that data. You might try Data Doctors in the US or some other data recovery company but be prepared to spend a huge amount of money. I would seriously ask that you consider the worth of what you are trying to recover. All of your pictures should have been syncing with your OneDrive so you could check there are see if they are backed up. I whish you luck.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!