Install Windows 8 on Dell Studio One 1909

The Dell Studio One 1909 is a great looking All in One computer and I have read that some are touch screen as well.  The one I am testing is sadly not a touch screen but I think Windows 8 would look great on this machine and well it’s my office PC so let’s try it.  For this install, I will be installing Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit.  I will be doing a clean install of Windows 8, keeping nothing, but you can do a migration from Windows Vista that will copy over your documents and settings but not your installed programs.

The install on this machine was fast and easy, I would say one of the fastest installs I have done yet.  I was up and running in a matter of minutes.  Once I could open the Device Manager there were two drivers missing.  A Coprocessor and an Unknown Device.  I ran Windows Update and there were still these two drivers missing.  It took a little research but I found them and how to install them.  The Unknown Device is actually the Touch Eject Button for the Optical Disc Drive, this button will light up in the lower right-hand corner of the screen when there is a disc in the drive, just hit it to eject the disc.

The second driver is for the Coprocessor and it was a little harder.  It is part of the Nvidia Chipset.  Download the zip file I linked to and save it to your computer.  Right click on the file and select Extract.  Then go to the bottom left corner of the screen and right-click to bring up the Win-X menu (or by hitting the Windows Key and the X key at the same time) and select Device Manager.  You are going to want to right-click on the Coprocessor and select Update Driver Software, then select Browse My Computer For Driver Software and then select the folder you extracted and within that folder select Vista64 and then select SMU.  It should find and install the correct driver and you should be ready to go. After this, you will have a clean Device Manager.

Device Manager and System Properties in Windows 8 on Dell Studio One 1909

Device Manager and System Properties in Windows 8 on Dell Studio One 1909

The Dell Studio One 1909 performs very well with Windows 8 on here.  It is faster than Windows Vista was on this machine and it just flies.  I know I just did this as a test but I am considering leaving Windows 8 on my office PC now.  This machine does not support Hyper-V 3.0 as the processor does not support SLAT.  I ran PassMark Performance Test and the unit got a 747.1 and below is the Windows Experience Index.

Windows 8 Experience Index on Dell Studio One 1909

Windows 8 Experience Index on Dell Studio One 1909

I can not suggest this upgrade enough, it will work great and really wake up your Dell Studio One 1909, and if you are lucky enough to have a touch screen version then it is a no-brainer.  As always your mileage may vary as I can not test a touch screen one to see if the drivers are installed right away but if you have any issues drop me a line on the Contact page or leave a comment.

23 replies
  1. pablo
    pablo says:

disculpa yo actualice a windos 8.1 mi dell studio one pero no se escucha el sonido ni con audífonos me podrían ayudar a solucionar ese problema

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

Well auto run has been disabled for security reasons in Windows 7 and Windows 8, I would open up Computer and double click on the optical drive, let me know if that works, if it does not there may be other issues. Also DVD’s (video) no longer play without upgrading to Media Center or having third party DVD software installed.

2. Ron
    Ron says:

Richard, I have a Dell Studio One 1909 and love it however after installing Windows 8 on it my cd rom will not play the cds I put in it. It doesn’t matter what type of cd/dvd. The system is recognizing the drive however no cd/dvd I put in it will play. Any thoughts? thanks Ron

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

Are you talking about the disc auto running or are you opening up Computer and then double clicking on the optical drive? I had no issues on the 1909 I had it worked just fine.

3. Rod
    Rod says:

Thanks for this. I have the touchscreen version of the Studio One 1909 and the touchscreen worked from the start. I had been using Ubuntu for about two years on this computer as it was so much better than Vista. I tried the beta version of Windows 8 and liked it a lot, so cleared the harddrive, reinstalled Vista from the downloaded Dell files to re-set my machine then upgraded to Windows 8. Everything worked great except the mystery coprocessor and unknown device… which is now cleared up thanks to your help above. Thanks for everything.

4. Michael
    Michael says:

Yeah. Sorry should have mentioned when I reinstalled Vista I tried the touch drivers on the reinstall disk for the computer first, then tried the latest from the Dell website. I’ve actually tried all previous version on Dell’s website now. I didn’t explicitly install camera drivers. I also installed drivers for any devices missing in driver manager.

5. Richard
    Richard says:

Just a thought – did you try to install the original drivers and programs from the Dell factory disk that came with your computer?? I did that before anything else and then began to upgrade – You need the touch camera etc.

6. Michael
    Michael says:

Thanks for the pointers towards the drivers. Unfortunately I’ve come to the conclusion the touch screen on this 1909 is dead. It certainly used to work and when I opened it up it appears to be connected fine but Windows 8 doesn’t recognize it. I even tried reinstalling Vista from original Dell disks and the latest Vista drivers from Dells site and they told me the touchscreen wasn’t connected and to try reconnecting it. 🙁

7. Michael
    Michael says:

Hi Richard,

I’ve installed the DVD eject button driver and Nvidia coprocessor driver listed on this page. So, I’ve got the touch eject button but my problem is the touch screen itself isn’t working. Your comment said ‘after many days of finding the correct drivers to get the touch screen going again’. Which drivers were those? I don’t see those on usefulwindows anywhere.

8. Gerald
    Gerald says:

Michael – If Windows 8 did not install touch drivers you can get the latest from nextwindow.com This company was Dell’s supplier for the touch hardware and software for the 1909.

I’m running Win8 on two 1909’s touchscreens with E8400 processors. Works great! Amazingly fast.

9. Michael
    Michael says:

I’ve just upgraded my 1909 to Windows 8 and I’m searching for the correct drivers to get the touch screen working under Windows 8. Richard, if you can point me in the direction of the drivers you found?

10. Richard
    Richard says:

Thank you so much – this is all I need – as to the touch screen – don’t be jealous – Actually my wife uses the 1909 – I use a XPS 13 (no touch – but upgraded to 8 and smokes) My wife hates when I use her computer – she hates cleaning my fingerprints off the screen — 🙂 – Thanks again for your help!

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

No problem, if you would not mind posting the links to the touch screen that would be awesome (or did Windows install suitable drivers) I have an office where I volunteer and the 1909 is my Office computer there. I have been thinking of leaving Windows 8 on there full time.

11. Richard
    Richard says:

I upgraded my Dell Studio One 1909 – – I had a terrile time getting the PC to log into the web and had to do a system refresh – while that worked, i did lose alot of programs that I have now reinstalled. Very important to upgrade the Network Card before you upgrade – I learned (again) the hard way to read before I click enter! And after many days of finding the correct drivers to get the touch screen going again and dealing with other issues – I still cant get the DVD Eject light to go on when a DVD is inserted into the drive. While I can right click and hit eject, I cant find a driver that will allow the light on the screen to work. Any ideas? By the way = windows 8 is sweet on this machine and I do recomend the upgrade – just be wise and careful during the setup process.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!