Install Windows 8 on Asus Eee Slate EP121 Tablet

The first time I saw my friends Asus Eee Slate EP121, I wanted to install Windows 8 on this tablet.  This 12.1-inch tablet seemed to be perfect for installing and testing Windows 8 and it is really easy to set up.  I installed Windows 8 Professional 64-bit on this machine very easily but there are a few things you should know as with almost every Windows install.

First, you are going to want to update the BIOS before you install Windows 8.  The updated BIOS will allow for the hotkeys to work properly and you can download that update from here for the current version. Please note that you need to do this before you upgrade to Windows 8, and to update the BIOS you are going to use the Asus Winflash utility installed on the tablet or you can download the Windows 7 version.  If you try to install the Winflash utility after you update you will get an error that is only meant for Asus products.

After you get the BIOS update installed you are ready to install Windows 8.  For me, I like to do clean installs which keep nothing and you get a fresh install of Windows, but you can do an upgrade from Windows 7 that will keep all your programs, files, and settings.  I connected and external optical disc drive to install Windows but you could also use the electronic installer if you bought it online.

After the install is done there are a few missing drivers, and you are going to want to connect the machine to Windows Update as it will download drivers from there.  Make sure to look at Optional Updates as there is an audio driver there that needs to be selected. Now even though there is a Bluetooth driver in Windows Update it is not the correct one, you will want to download the Bluetooth driver from Asus website.  After you install this you have a clean Device Manager.

Windows 8 System Properties and Device Manager on Asus EP121

Windows 8 System Properties and Device Manager on Asus EP121

Installing Windows 8 on the Asus Eee Slate EP121 is a no brainer it just makes this a great system to use.  This tablet is just as powerful as most laptops and I can not recommend this upgrade enough.  Asus has done a great job support Windows 8 on this tablet.  This tablet will also support Hyper-v 3.0.  I think my friend is going to be very happy with the upgrade.  You can see the Windows Experience Index below and the Passmark Performance Test this tablet gets a 686.2

Windows 8 Experience Index on Asus EP121

Windows 8 Experience Index on Asus EP121

If you have the Asus Eee Slate EP121 or are looking to buy a tablet you can install Windows 8 on I would highly suggest the upgrade.  It makes for a powerful tablet that can’t be beaten. Also, I will be using this machine to make a video on how to use Windows 8 on a touch device so stay tuned.  I also made a video using this tablet on how to use Windows 8 on a touchscreen device.  Check it out.

15 replies
    • Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

I have no clue, I used the normal version of Windows 8 Pro and had no issues, I did a clean install (I did not upgrade from Windows 7 which I think is a mistake on this machine)

1. boody
    boody says:

Ok, i have resolved my problem !
    I simply change the serial from a full W8 OEM to a W8 update serial number version … Just a reboot (no new update needed) and now the touche pad is working and the pen !!
    It was then just a MS W8 mistake with the OEM driver version…

2. boody
    boody says:

Strange yes … and it’s not really a good “commercial reaction” …

I have updated everything possible, also pass to W8.1 (2,4Go more) to see if something changes but always the same result: just a pen and no touch screen (but the device manager show me the touch screen now).
    I think that it’s something related to OEM version due to the 2 touch points only … drivers are not signed and then ignored !

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

Yeah I think the tablet might be toast, sounds like a hardware issue, you can always try going back to Windows 7, maybe try and upgrade install? also make sure to update the BIOS first before installing Windows 8.

3. Bill
    Bill says:

Found a lot of people on line with the same issue. Never could get it resolved. I contacted Asus, but they were absolutely no help and didn’t really seem to care that it seems to be a manufacturing issue. When I mentioned that I thought it was strange that they released a new versiom of the same exact tablet that doesn’t seem to have the issue, they had no comment. I am going to trade the tablet into Amazon for around $500 and just move on.

4. boody
    boody says:

I have the same error.
    I Start a new Install from scratch (new SSD) using W8 OEM pro on a USB Key. During Install the touchscreen was working, but after personnalisation nothing… i have tried many solutions … nothing Works (just pen).
    Did you resolve it ?

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

I would try running Windows Update and see if that helps but you have me stumped, It worked fine on the tablet I had, I no longer have that tablet but I may be installing Windows 8.1 after it is released if I can convince my friend to let me borrow his tablet again.

5. Bill
    Bill says:

I appreciate your help, and I upgraded the BIOS like you said, but the screen is not working correctly with touch input. After doing some searching I have discovered that it is because I am installing Windows 8 Pro, when I what I should be installing is Windows 8 Upgrade. Basically MS has stated that the standard Pro version is meant for new machines that have Win8 certification for 5 point touch, which the Ep121 does not. Now I have to decide whether or not it is worth another $100 to try to make it work or if I will just reinstall Win7.

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

That is incorrect, I installed Windows 8 Pro on that very machine. If you go out and buy Windows 8 in the store all you can buy is an upgrade version of either Windows 8 core or Windows 8 Pro. No, there is something else at play. You are however correct that the EP121 does not have 5 point touch it only supports 2 touch points but it worked fine for me. What issue are you having with the screen? Maybe it needs to be calibrated or there is a hardware issue. I would like to know so I can ask my friend who owns the Tablet and ask him if he has expierenced any of the same issues. Also how are you installing Windows 8 Pro, as an upgrade keeping your Files, Settings, and Installed Programs, or a clean install Keeping Nothing, I suggest to do the Keep Nothing option as this will make sure all non compatible settings or programs from Windows 7 are removed during install. If you have used the Web Installer there is an option to create an ISO to burn onto a DVD. This is what I use for my install. I am awating your reply. Let’s get this figured out.

6. Bill
    Bill says:

I tried to upgrade to Windows 8 but did not update the BIOS and I am having some issues. If I re-install Windows 7, upgrade the BIOS and try again do you think that will stop the issues I have having.

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

That is exactly what I would do, the BIOS update is needed, go back to Windows 7, update the BIOS and then install Windows 8, then it really becomes a sweet machine just make sure to run Windows Update after you are done installing Windows 8.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!