Fix for The Screen Resolution is Too Low for This App to Run

Update:  The best fix I have found so far is to upgrade to Windows 10.  So far Windows 10 is working well on an old Netbook I have that has a 1024 X 600 resolution. It seems to handle the smaller screen size better.  I have not seen the need for this fix in Windows 10.

In Windows 8 when you try to run one of the Windows Store (Metro) apps you get a message saying “This app cannot open” followed by “The screen resolution is too low for this app to run.”  Then is gives you a shortcut to “Change your screen resolution”.  If this has happened to you chances are you are trying to run Windows 8 on a Netbook, Tablet, or older Laptop.  I have found a way around, however.  Pictured below is the error I am talking about.  The lowest screen resolution supported by the Windows Store apps is 1024 X 768 but the computers highest resolution is 1024 X 600.

The Screen Resolution Is Too Small for Windows 8 Apps

The Screen Resolution Is Too Small for Windows 8 Apps

You first want to download the current Intel driver (or whatever driver from your Graphics Card Manufacture) for your device.  For this article, I will be using a tablet that runs the Intel GMA 3150.  You can download this driver from HerePlease note if your computer uses the Intel GMA 945 you do not need to download the driver just skip this step.  You have to install the driver first or your machine may just boot up to a black screen (directions are below to reverse this if you have changed the registry before installing the driver) The install will ask you if you want to install the older driver and you want to select Yes.  When the install finishes it will prompt you to restart, do this and continue on.

Now you are going to want to open Regedit.  The quickest way to get to Regedit is to swipe in on the right side of the screen to the Charms Bar comes into view and then select Search.  In the search box type Regedit and then select the result.  Once you have the Registry Editor (Regedit) open go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then SYSTEM, then ControlSet001, then Control, Then Class, then {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} (this value could vary on different computers) and then 0001 (If your computer has the Intel GMA 945 click on 0000) then double-click on Display1_DownScalingSupported (you can also click on Edit and then Find and type in Display1_DownScalingSupported)  Change the Value Data from 0 to 1 then hit OK.  Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.

Registry setting you have to change for Windows 8 apps to work

Registry setting you have to change for Windows 8 apps to work

Now it should have changed the resolution to 1024 X 768 and if it has you will notice things seem stretched on the screen a little.  To check this go to the Desktop and right-click on it and select Screen Resolution.

Now it supports Windows 8 Apps

Now it supports Windows 8 Apps

If you have done this with the driver that comes with Windows 8 your device may just boot up to a black screen, this can be fixed.  restart your computer and hit the F8 key repeatedly until you see Please Wait on the Windows 8 boot screen (If you have a tablet you will want to connect a keyboard to do this).  You will then see a screen that has two options.  See Advanced Repair Options and Restart My PC, you want the first one.  You then want to select Troubleshoot, and then select Advanced Options.  From here select Startup Settings and then click on Restart.  You then get a list and on that list you want to hit number 5 Safe Mode with Networking (you can just hit the 5 key on the keyboard).  Now just open Regedit and change that setting back to 0 then restart your computer, everything should boot back to normal.

I hope this gets people able to enjoy the Windows Store (Metro) apps in Windows 8 on some older machines.

75 replies
  1. lionheart
    lionheart says:

thank you it works for me 🙂 very nice and easy step,, just follow the instruction nice n easy n not to get lost tnx a lot 🙂

2. Techy
    Techy says:

GMA 3600 User here (Specifically, GMA 3650, slightly faster). DownScaling set to 0001. Tried running Microsoft Store, Skype, and even Photos. no such luck. Black Screen, flickers twice then immediately reboots. It still boots normally, don’t need to “Safe Mode” my way to boot. I would really appreciate an help. Thanks

3. Joel Pl
    Joel Pl says:

trying to change resolution but it won’t let me email me and will explain all in email, please and thank-you

• Bryan Moore
      Bryan Moore says:

Two things here, first you have to follow the instructions and this will only work with the two graphic cards listed. Second it has been a long time since the article was written so the work around may no longer work. Good Luck.

4. Julie
    Julie says:

You are brilliant every other website says solved and they dont solve anything, yes its a bit stretched but its working so a BIG thank you

5. Kelsey
    Kelsey says:

Hi I’ve tried to install 3600 from directly from Intel however it is for Windows 7 because there is no available for Windows 8 so I’ve tried it on my aspire one D270 a netbook, I’ve successfully altered the registry for Display1_DownScalingSupported and modfied it from “0-1” from 0000 and 00001 and restarted my pc. So after I have an option for my screen resolution to open my Windows apps however when I try to launch the app it will open and after 2 seconds or more it will go to a blackscreen with curser and will automatically restart. How to fix it properly? Thank you :))

• Bryan Moore
      Bryan Moore says:

I am not sure, If the Intel driver does not work try whatever driver Microsoft provides. (I have not had much luck with the default drivers from Microsoft but sometimes they work) I currently do not have any hardware to test this on, but once I do will update this article.

6. DJ
    DJ says:

Simply Wonderful! I got my Lenovo S10-2 working following the direction provided here. However, I did have to download the drivers specific to my laptop from Lenovo site. And, the folder structure in regedit was slightly different, but it all worked out!

Yes, the screens are stretched horizontally, but I can open all Metro apps!

7. boutoub wahbi
    boutoub wahbi says:

sur windows 8.1 j ai rencontré un grand probleme et j ai pas trouvé ce registre Display1_DownScalingSupported :/

Usefulwindows says:

Alors vous avez besoin d’installer l’un des pilotes carte graphique que j’ai abordé dans l’article, aussi j’ai seulement essayé ceci avec deux cartes graphiques différents. Si votre carte vidéo n’est pas une de celles indiquées ici, Télécharger le pilote plus actuel de la fabrication, ne pas utiliser celui fourni avec Windows, qu’il ne prendra pas en charge cette fonctionnalité.

• Adrian
        Adrian says:

This doesn’t work for me on windows 8.1 Update 1, on a notebook with intel hd graphics 2000, what can I do? 🙁

• Bryan Moore
          Bryan Moore says:

I am not sure, make sure you install the driver from Intel and try again, the Microsoft driver seems to lock this out. I currently do not have any devices to test this with, once I do I can update the article.

8. Patrick Peary
    Patrick Peary says:

Hi –

I’ve tried downloading the GMA3150 drivers but all I can find are the Windows 7 versions. When I try these, they say that the system does not meet the minimum requirements and then exits. Any thoughts or helpful suggestions? Thanks! Pat.

Usefulwindows says:

It is not Microsoft’s website that is the issue, this is a limitation in Windows 8, Microsoft felt that the Metro apps needed at least 1024 X 768, Now I feel like they could have relaxed that to be at least 1024 X 600 but I guess those extra 168 pixels are important.

9. hp210
    hp210 says:

hi, I did everything, it runs fine, but when I click on any metro app (windows 8) it goes into blank screen and restarts. can you help me fix this? I really want to run metro apps. please.

10. coded
    coded says:

i have downloaded the drivers you said we should download but after downloading mine and while installing it, it said “i have not been able to meet the requirement

11. Ghazanfar Uruj
    Ghazanfar Uruj says:

hey, I have a notebook ( Samsung NC110P) It has Microsoft display adapters and has a graphics driver of 3600…..when I installed windows 8 in it …I installed the driver for 3600 too with the help of intel’s website…..
    I hacked the registry too.. but still when I run metro apps(from the start screen)suddenly it shows a black screen and my notebook reboots…
    please help!
    any help will be appreciated…
    ThankYou

Usefulwindows says:

you will need to boot into safe mode and undo what ever you did to the registry, then I would restart the machine and see if it brings it back to normal. I am not for sure how to make it work on the 3600 as I have not had a machine with that chipset come in. I will have to look it up.

12. andi
    andi says:

my graphic adapter is intel gma 950…i have this problem on hp mini 110-1013TU with intel atom, 512k L2 cache,1,67ghz…is it right if the processor was too weak for this thing? i hope you can help me

Usefulwindows says:

You need to download and install the driver for the Intel GMA 950, that should take care of the issue. You will want to get the driver straight from Intel and not the one that installs by default in Windows. The processor has not been an issue on the computers I have tested this on.

13. andi
    andi says:

hi, just after change Display1_DownScalingSupported i change the screen resolution and my screen turns into blue screen with “Invalid_Extended_processor_State”…can you help me to overcome this problem?

14. anonymous
    anonymous says:

Awesome! Thank you soooo much! This worked on my HP Mini. I have an Intel 945. The recommended resolution is better, but raising the resolution is necessary for the apps to work. It’s a resolution I can live with. Thanks!

Usefulwindows says:

I find that over time you actually get used to the resolution. I have Windows 8 on a HP Mini as well (article to follow soon) and I like it over all. I am glad it worked for you.

15. Usefulwindows
    Usefulwindows says:

Just to remind everyone I have now tested this with the Intel GMA 3150 and the Intel GMA 945, The only difference between the two is that for the Intel GMA 945 you do not need to download the driver from Intel the Windows 8 Microsoft driver works fine and second when you look in the Registry Editor, click on 0000 and not 0001, change the downscaling under 0000 instead, this has works great for me so far and will get Metro Windows Store Apps running.

• mark
      mark says:

Hi just after sum help i did something silly new to computers i changed 0000 file name to 1111 then instead of changing bk i just deleted it my screen boots to windows then goes black as if off cud u help plz ? And if i install windows with an external dvd drive will it go bk to normal as cant get on with windows 8 ?

Usefulwindows says:

Read the directions at the bottom, I talk about booting the computer to F8 and loading safemode, or you can just reset the PC from there. that should change it back to factory settings.

Usefulwindows says:

If you have done this with the driver that comes with Windows 8 your device may just boot up to a black screen, this can be fixed. restart your computer and hit the F8 key repeatedly until you see Please Wait on the Windows 8 boot screen (If you have a tablet you will want to connect a keyboard to do this). You will then see a screen that has two options. See Advanced Repair Options and Restart My PC, you want the first one. You then want to select Troubleshoot, from here you can go to Safemode or to reset and refresh my pc.

Usefulwindows says:

No reason to be sorry, if you right click down in the lower left hand corner of the screen (or press the Windows Key and X on your keyboard at the same time) a little menu will pop up, click on Device Manager then look under Display Adapters.

16. Rahul
    Rahul says:

I had done many times still its not working.. My PC resolution is 1280*720.. still it showing that this resolution is lower tha 1024*768… Sie plz hepl me..

Usefulwindows says:

What chipset do you have that supports 1280 X 720? The one in the article only supports 1024 X 600, you may need different drivers. And the ones that come with Windows 8 do not support Upscaling.

Usefulwindows says:

Wow well you may not be able to run Metro apps, The 3150 is the only device I have that cant run them and it did ok, I would keep looking for a solution. To restore it back boot the computer and very quickly (as soon as you hit the power button) start hitting the F8 key, and you can select an option to restart the computer in Safe Mode, from here use a mouse and keyboard to change the registry settings back and then restart that should at least get the video working again just no full screen Metro apps. I wonder why this works with the Intel 3150 but not the 3600. Man I whish I had this machine in front of me to play with.

17. RIshabh
    RIshabh says:

WHen i changed the resolution on my netbook and ran the app.Black screen came and netbook was restarted.My driver intel 3600 series.Any help will be appreciated

Usefulwindows says:

Again you have to download the driver from Intel,You will need the one for the 3600, not the 3150. Microsoft has disabled this hack from working with the stock Intel drivers they provide. I would check Intel’s site and download a driver for Windows 7 or Windows Vista if they do not have a Windows 8 driver. I hope this helps.

Usefulwindows says:

1 Did you install the driver from Intel, the one from MS will not work. 2. just look for Display1_DownScalingSupported (hit F3 and then search from there) and change the value as directed.

18. RIshabh
    RIshabh says:

When i changed the resolution by these settings on my netbook and tried to run the app the app didn’t work and the screen turned black on running any app.

Usefulwindows says:

Two questions, did you install the driver listed in the post, and is your graphic card an Intel GMA 3150? You have to install the driver from the cards manufacture for this to work as the built in Windows 8 ones will not allow this. Second I only have provided a link to the Intel GMA 3150 as that is what my test tablet has in it. I hope to try this again on an old Netbook I used to have and I think it uses a different graphic card. I will try to look into this more, What machine are you doing this on, (manufacture, model) and what is your graphic card?

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] op een netbook dotS. het beeld ziet er een beetje vervormd uit maar valt goed mee. gebruik volgende uitleg en de apps kunnen gebruikt worden. Met citaat […]

2. […] more precise and responsive.  If you want to be able to use the full screen Metro apps check out Fix for the Screen Resolution is Too Low… it explains how to get them working and will be easy since you already loaded the Intel driver.  […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!