Install Windows 8 on HP Pavilion G4 – 1125DX

With Windows 8 being finalized I felt it was time to test it so installed it on my laptop which is an HP Pavilion G4 – 1125DX.  This laptop has run every public release of Windows 8 so far from the Developer Preview to the Release Preview.  I installed the final version of Windows 8 Pro just like the pre-release versions, a clean install right along Windows 7 Home Premium.  It runs great on this laptop and I had no trouble installing it at all.  Simple straightforward install.  Windows installed every driver for my devices so it was a flawless install.  If you wanted to do an upgrade from Windows 7 you can keep all your settings, files, and applications, or do a clean install like I did.

Windows 8 Pro Device Manager and System on HP Pavilion G4 - 1125DX

Device Manager and System on HP Pavilion G4

I have to say I am very impressed with the performance of the final version of Windows 8.  It just runs great on this laptop.  Microsoft has tweaked and tweaked this software and with every release, it has been a great payoff.  I am so impressed with the performance alone that I am ready to use Windows 8 full-time.  It really does run well on this laptop.  Running the PassMark Performance Test the machine gets a 514.2  Below is the Windows Experience Index and you can see how its runs.

Windows 8 Experience Index HP Pavilion G4 - 1125DX

Windows Experience Index HP Pavilion G4

Overall if you are looking at going to Windows 8 on this machine I say do it.  It runs great and I enjoy it a lot.  Windows 8 will be available for everyone on October 26 so get ready.

12 replies
  1. Andrew
    Andrew says:

Hi –

I am thinking of updating my notebook from Win 7, but I’d like to get to 8.1 and not just 8.

Do you know if this notebook will be able to handle the 8.1 update? I know some Windows 8 machines are unable to get the 8.1 update as they changed the necessary specs a tiny bit.

Thanks.

— Andrew

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

Yes it will with flying colors, I have been running 8.1 on this machine since the preview version came out. Only some old 64 bit computers will not run Windows 8.1 64 bit but they will run the 32 bit version, go figure. The G4 runs Windows 8.1 very well and I highly suggest the upgrade, I hope to update this article to reflect this soon. Thank you for the question.

2. manoj
    manoj says:

hiii,i am trying to install windows 8 in my hp g4 laptop but when i try to install ,at the last step it shows an erro showing the message as “Windows cannot update the boot configuration”…
    i am waiting for ur response

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

I have not run into that issue yet, are you doing a clean install (Keeping Nothing) or an Upgrade (where it leaves all your files, settings, and installed programs in place. Or are you trying a dual boot between Windows 7 and Windows 8? Also you may want to try checking to see if your hard drive is still good, it could be going bad.

3. renato calabria reviews
    renato calabria reviews says:

Hi! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old
    room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to
    him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
    Many thanks for sharing!

4. hansfire
    hansfire says:

well I just realized that win 8 did not support the ATI 6470 adapter and both microsoft and Hp havent released any update regarding the matter. mine was detected as ATI 7470 and cannot work when I tried using it with a game. my fault here is I have deleted my old window configuration (window.old) so i cannot used the old config. I tried to install the ATI catalist center provided by HP resulting the window to crash. Just have to wait for the updates i suppose. thanks

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

Interesting, my HP G4-1125DX has an ATI HD 4200 in it and there was a driver for it. I would go to AMD’s website and download the latest driver from there, they would have a driver long before HP will. Hope that helps.

5. hansfire
    hansfire says:

Hi, thanks for the review.
    I agree with U, Win 8 works great on G4
    it give me a boost of performance.
    one problem though, did you notice that one of the display adapter (usually the ATI)is shutted down.
    do you have the similar problem? if not how do you managed it? thanks

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

Cool, thanks for the reply, It is good to know someone else has Win 8 on these G4’s I did not have any issues with the graphic card it has been running, I would run Windows update and see if there is any updates and install them. To get to Windows update in Windows 8 just go to the control panel, you can right click on the desktop and go to personalise and then change desktop icons and put a short cut to the control panel on the desktop. When you are in Windows Update click on other updates and select every single one and install them. I bet one is for the graphic card driver.

Thanks for reading.

6. Aleta Rave
    Aleta Rave says:

I like what you guys are up too. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my site 🙂

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!