Install Windows 8 on Ctl. 2Go PC Model SL10 Tablet

A friend of mine lent me a Ctl. 2Go PC SL10 Tablet to test Windows 8 on.  I have had this machine for so long that I decided to install the Windows 8 RTM on it and give it back to him this way to say thank you.  Now this can and can not be a straight forward install so let me explain and walk you through how to get the most out of Windows 8 on this device.  For this install I am doing a clean install of Windows 8 Professional 32-bit, keeping nothing, but you could do an upgrade from Windows 7 keeping your settings, files, and installed programs.  I installed Windows 8 from a DVD in an external DVD drive connected to the tablet through USB.

If you contact Ctl they will tell you that Windows 8 is not supported on this device, and well yeah they are kind of right but honestly a little hard work and Windows 8 can run well on this machine.  Now I had issues booting from the Windows 8 Release Preview DVD but I did not have any issues booting off of the Windows 8 RTM DVD so I did that and deleted the partitions of the hard drive except the restore partition and that could come in handy if my friend ever wants to go back to Windows 7.  If you can not boot off of the DVD (the machine will start to load then the screen will go black and the machine gets unresponsive) simply run setup from within Windows 7 from the DVD.

If you try to run setup within Windows 7 and you get an error that the Processor is not supported please read Fix for The Processor is Not Supported.  It explains a way around this in more detail.  Basically, there is something about this Atom processor that is not enabled and you can not enable it in the Bios and Windows freaks out but you can go around the check.  Please note if you get the machine to boot off of DVD then you don’t have to worry about this.

Once Windows 8 was installed I checked the Device Manager to find no missing drivers.  Job done right? Nope!  First, connect to the internet and download three drivers from the Ctl FTP site.   These drivers will help with some functionality of the device.  You want to download the Notebook Manager, 3G, and the Touchscreen drivers.  Extract them and run the Notebook Manager and 3G installers.  This will add the Gear touch key function on the right of the screen back and 3G support for your device if it came with it.  Then download the current Graphic  Card driver from Intel.   Now extract and install the Touchscreen drivers from Ctl as they seem to work better on this machine, making the touch more precise and responsive.  If you want to be able to use the full-screen Metro apps check out Fix for the Screen Resolution is Too Low… it explains how to get them working and will be easy since you already loaded the Intel driver.  After this I would run Windows Update and after the machine restarts keep checking and installing updates until they are all installed. In the future do not install any updated drivers for the graphic card through Windows Update as they may break the Fix to allow Metro apps.

Device Manager and System Properties in Windows 8 on Ctl SL10

Device Manager and System Properties in Windows 8 on Ctl SL10

Now if you find that after all this that the screen does not auto rotate you can check to see if it is enabled.  Remember the Notebook Manager we installed earlier well to get to it hit the Gear touch button on the right side of the screen (looks like two gears) then click on the Advanced tab and make sure Auto Rotate Screen is checked.  Also, go to the Control Panel (swipe in from the right side of the screen in the Desktop, tap Settings and then Control Panel) then open Intel GMA Driver for Mobile, and then Click on Display Settings, and make sure Enable Rotation is checked.  This should allow Rotation on your machine.

The performance of this tablet is actually not too bad considering its Netbook underpinnings.  It is not going to be a great gaming machine or great for edition video but for day-to-day computer use it is great.  This machine will not run Hyper-V 3.0 though.  I ran PassMark Performance Test and this unit got a 245 and the Windows Experience Index is below.

Windows 8 Experience Index on Ctl 2Go PC SL10Tablet

Windows 8 Experience Index on Ctl 2Go PC SL10Tablet

Windows 8 makes this a fun tablet once you have done the Fix to get the Metro apps working.  I have to admit I enjoy the thing and have thought about trying to find one on EBay.  Putting a solid state hard drive in this machine would be the perfect upgrade.  If you have one of these tablets I think you owe it to yourself to try the upgrade, I know there are lots of steps and hoops but the reward is great.  If you would like to check out my video on using Windows 8 on a Tablet or other Touch Screen Device.

20 replies
  1. Robert
    Robert says:

When I changed the registry setting to support Windows 8 apps and rebooted the screen went blank. I suspect it may be looking for a different monitor. Did you get Windows 8 apps to actually run on this device?

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

I had the same issue, make sure to install all drivers first and then change the registry setting. Yes I got Windows 8 apps to work and they still work on this machine, my friend really enjoys it.

2. Simps
    Simps says:

Hey,

Got it to work! I had to re-install windows 7 home premium. After that I needed to delete the windows.old folder to have enough space for windows 8 setup to run. I then copied all the files from a windows 8 home professional DVD onto a USB drive and ran the setup file you did. Thanks so much for finding that and writing this guide, you saved me endless housrs of frustration. The tablet is so much faster now!

One side note – my SL10 came with a large chunk of reserved HD space used for windows backup. Before I started this whole thing I had to get a partition utility as windows wouldn’t format it. After formatting, re-arranging and re-sizing I had enough space.

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

Awesome I am glad it worked, my friend seems to love this tablet now. I have a new stack of computers to test but I have to find power adapters for them so I will have more write ups as I get them done. The SL10 was one of the hardest but it is so cool, just a small Windows 8 tablet that you can’t find anywhere.

3. Simps
    Simps says:

I followed your method however when the system rebooted to continue the installation, I got an error saying it couldn’t be resumed. Then the tablet restarted and now I get “No operating system found”. Being that it can’t boot from the USB install media either (same issue you had with the DVD drive) and ideas on how I can install windows 8?

I mailed CTL and their only response was “None of our tablets are currently designed to run windows 8”.

Thanks in advance!

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

You may have to try insalling Windows 7 on there first, and Windows 7 may boot from USB it is worth a shot, The no operating system found message makes me wonder if the Hard Drive did not fail, I would test it, you can download Ultimate Boot CD from again if it will boot from USB, you might also contact CTL again about how to get Windows 7 back on there or on how to get the tablet to boot from USB

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

I would try booting from DVD again, I had no issues using the Windows 8 RTM disc. Again you might have a bad hard drive as well. Also when calling Ctl I would not say anything about Windows 8, just say your having issues installing Windows.

4. CrashN8
    CrashN8 says:

I was able to get around the DEP / NX restrictions based on your post. Thank you. One Question: Were you able to get Bluetooth working on the SL10? Windows did not automatically install the Broadcom Bluetooth drivers and I am having problems installing the drivers supplied by CTL / 2go.

5. CoyT
    CoyT says:

I have also tried the tablet with Ubuntu, and Android, both have their drawbacks, ubuntu doesent really interface great with the touch screen, android 2.2 seems to work pretty well aside from the fact that the wireless card is not supported in the android OS and one would have to purchase a different Wireless card.

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

I agree, Ubuntu (or any Linux distro) is just not quite there for tablets. I have played around with Android for X86 and it is interesting but does lack a lot of driver support, Windows 8 is really easy for the most part, this tablet however has been the most complex install so far, but I will say it is a lot easier with the final RTM version of Windows 8 then the Release Preview.

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

It varies per tablet, look in the device manager it will tell you the name, I just got Windows 8 on this tablet last night so the article is comming soon. You will need the driver and the registery setting to change.

6. CoyT
    CoyT says:

Did you figure out how to get the metro apps to work? I’m really needed the info on this. Trying to rack my brain with the screen resolution issue.

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

I am actually working on a article on this, you need to download a driver from Intel and then there is a registry setting to change, you should be able to Google the registry setting, something like enable higher resolution, remember this only works with the Intel driver and not with the built in one from Microsoft. I hope to have my article with more detailed directions in a day or two.

7. rcslink
    rcslink says:

Thanks for the work-around, did it turn out to be stable? I expect there will be many others coming to this issue soon.

• Usefulwindows
      Usefulwindows says:

Yes it did, I am goign to be re-writing this because I have the RTM of Windows 8, I also figured out how to get Windows Store (Metro) apps to runs as well. Thanks for reading, I’ll let you know when it is up.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!