Windows Vista brought a lot of change and a lot of new features. Love it or hate it Vista changed the game. I could not decide on five so here is my pick of the top six new features in Windows Vista. Let’s revisit them.
1. Windows Defender, spyware, and adware have been a big problem for a while. I was glad when Microsoft introduced Windows Defender into Windows, it offered an extra layer of protection. It is not the best program out there for this purpose, I prefer to use Spybot and Ad-Aware to remove spyware but Windows Defender does active protection and does not use up much system resources doing it. Also, it is updated through Microsoft Update making staying protected easy. You can also download Windows Defender for Windows XP. You can get it at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=f8f1c499-e587-48a5-ac81-164e850dca48&nr=20&sortCriteria=Popularity&sortOrder=Ascending&stype=ss_sd
2. Windows Sidebar and Desktop Gadgets, This was an awesome upgrade to Windows allowing more customization to Windows by allowing anyone to make a gadget and being able to download them. There are gadgets that do just about everything and they are all free. Pictured below are some of the gadgets I use every day. Yeah, there is a gadget for that! You can download more for Windows Vista here at http://vista.gallery.microsoft.com/vista/SideBar.aspx?mkt=en-us Now those should work for Windows 7 but the official website is here at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/downloads/personalize?T1=desktopgadgets
3. Instant Search, I hated having to use search to find anything in Windows because it took forever, but in Vista is it ever easy. Type a few letters and bam its there. I love it and I can’t say enough about it. You can update Windows XP with instant search too, get it at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=55C18CB3-C916-4298-ABA3-5B98904F7CDA&displaylang=en
4. The Network and Sharing Center, This is a little gem in Vista allowing networks to be managed more easily, it also saves Wireless Network information, so finally you did not have to retype in your security key every few days to reconnect to the wireless. Sharing was also simplified and made it easier to share information at home.
This just made networking easy and if you had a problem it could try to repair it for you, a much-needed feature.
5. Windows DVD Maker, a simple program so you can share your videos and pictures with family and friends on DVD. Not too shabby, but it is simple. Hey not bad for the first version of the program.
6. Windows Update, this is not really a new feature but so improved it might as well be, finally Windows Update and Microsoft Update did not have to be accessed from a browser. This is hands down the best decision Microsoft made in Vista. A program that did Windows Update, awesome!
It is nice to see new features when Windows is released and these top six new features in Windows Vista really made Windows better. Computing changes and it is good that Windows tries to keep up. If you are running Vista or thinking about it I would suggest upgrading to Windows 7, it takes Vista strong points and makes them better.